Sunday, May 28, 2017

99


Yesterday, my Grandma (known to everyone as Grammy) turned 99 years old.
Ninety-Nine.
Wow.
I have written about my Grammy before HERE and HERE.
She is the matriarch of our family.
She is one of the strongest women I know, despite her frail build
(that is getting smaller and more fragile every time we see her)

We celebrated Grammy over the weekend.
There is nothing Grammy loves more than her family.
She has 2 daughters (including my mom), 6 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren, with another one on the way this February (my cousin Ryan's wife is expecting a boy!)

In my Grammy's front yard, she has 7 little turtles representing her great grandchildren.
6 girls & 1 boy.
One of my favorite things about going to her house is checking out all her vintage items in her house.

She has these Swedish Dala Horses that are over 100 years old.
My mom has some also & used to put them out during Christmas.
I love these tin drinking cups from the 50's.
And, the matching tin bowls to go with them. So retro. Love them.
I have so many memories eating cereal & ice cream out of these as a little girl.
And, these drinking glasses are also from the 60's....there are only 2 left!
This hen cookie jar is over 100 years old & stays perched on Grammy's kitchen table.
Grammy has a blue plate collection that line her dining room and kitchen.
Here is a picture of Grammy in the year 1913, when she was 2 years old.
1913....that is crazy!
Grammy loves fine china. She has tons of it displayed around her house.
Remember The Yellow Chair Grammy gave me over the summer?
Well, she had another one from the same school house in Colorado.
This one is slightly bigger & oak.
She told me to take it home so I could use it in more photo shoots.
I plan on painting it turquoise!

Back to the 99th birthday celebration.....
We had a lovely dinner at my Aunt's with all my cousins (except my cousin Allison & her 3 kids who live in Washington DC)
And, we had cake!
Kate loved Grammy's purple candles!
Happy 99th Birthday, Grammy!
You are an inspiration.
To live by yourself in your own house at the age of 99 is simply amazing.
And still sharp as a tack.
(Although, her body is getting very fraile...but I guess that happens after 99 years)
Want to know Grammy's advice for living so long?
1. Surround yourself with your family and people you love.
2. Drink Coffee every morning.
3. Have Happy Hour every evening (Grammy's preference is a Cranberry Vodka)
4. Stay away from hospitals & doctors. (classic!)
Thanks for the tips, Grammy!

We are all rooting for you turn 100 next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment